Monday, February 29, 2016

Had a Tough Day



I had a tough day today. Let's face it, it happens. A series of little things made me irritable...I tried to hold it in, but to my surprise it showed in an unusual way. In the afternoon the Jr. High was workng in clay and the class was so smooth I choose to make a sculpture of my own. I worked on a small seated figure, finding focus and calm in my work. I felt my frustrations melt away and my mood felt kinder and more familiar. Several students wandering into the room at the end of the day responded to my sculpture, "who made that one, it looks angry"...."that figure's pose feels aggressive...who made it?"  How perceptive they were...I could see it too...how powerful the art of creation is and how directly it portrays our emotions, both joyous and sad. While it is not always beautiful, it does speak the truth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment